Generating a Sitemap and submitting it to different search engines is one of the important things to do after creating a blog. It’s not difficult at all but I think a beginner needs a step-by-step guide on how to submit a site to Google and Bing, just to make sure he/she is doing everything correctly.
In this article, I will provide you a step-by-step guide to submit a site to Google and Bing.
What Is a Sitemap?
Before starting I just want to give you a brief definition of a sitemap.
A sitemap is an organized XML file containing all the URLs of your website which helps search engine bots find your website easily.
To understand it simply think of your website as a book and the sitemap as the table of content.
Sitemaps are generally arranged in a hierarchical manner to help search engines crawl your content effectively.
How to Generate a Sitemap?
In this article, we will see how to create a sitemap using Yoast SEO plugin.
First of all, you need to install and activate Yoast in case you have not installed it already.
Then Go to SEO > XML Sitemaps
Just enable the sitemap functions and you are done.
Now you can access your sitemap using http://yourwebsite.com/sitemap_index.xml
Once you enable the sitemap functions your sitemap will be generated instantly and you don’t need to generate it again in the future. Whenever you will post a new article it will be automatically added to your sitemap.
If you are not a WordPress user then use this free website called XML-sitemaps.
Now that we have generated the sitemap for your website let’s see how to submit it to Google and Bing.
How to Submit a Site to Google?
To submit your site to Google Go to > Google Search Console (Formerly known as Google Webmaster Tool) from your web browser.
Enter your website URL in the box and click on add property.
After adding your website you need to verify your ownership of your website.
Google provides several methods to verify your website. You can choose any of the methods according to your convenience.
I personally verify my websites by uploading an HTML tag to my site’s homepage because I use WordPress and WordPress makes it quite easy to upload an HTML tag to your website.
However, if you are not a WordPress user I would recommend to verify your website by uploading an HTML file that Google provides to your website.
Follow the steps below to verify your website using HTML tag method
- Copy the HTML tag provided by Google
- Now login to your WordPress dashboard
- Go to > Appearance > Editor
- In editor Go to > Theme Header(Header.php)
- Now on the left side locate the <head> tag
- Paste the HTML tag below the <head> tag
- Click on Update File
- Once you placed the HTML tag in your website’s header Go to > Search console > Click on verify
Google will verify your website instantly. Now you can submit your sitemap to Google.
Follow the steps below to submit your sitemap to google
After a successful verification, your website will be listed in your search console account.
- From your search console account click on your property.
- Now from your Search Console dashboard Go to > Crawl > Sitemaps > Add/Test Sitemap
- In the box just beside your website URL add your sitemap link(sitemap_index.xml or sitemap.xml) and click on Submit button.
- Now your sitemap is successfully submitted to Google.
After Google, the next popular search engine is Bing. So it is better to submit your sitemap to Bing too.
Follow the steps below to submit your site to Bing
- From your browser go to Bing Webmaster Tool
- Sign up and Login to Bing using your email address
- Click on Add Your Site
- Enter your website URL, Your sitemap URL (like http://yoursite.com/sitemap_index.xml) and all the necessary information and click save
After saving the information the next step is to verify the ownership of your website. Bing also provides several methods to verify your website.
The verification process is same as that of the Google so Refer to the steps above to verify your website.
I hope this article on how to submit a site to Google was helpful to you.
If you like this post please don’t forget to help others by sharing it with them. If you have any doubt or any suggestion regarding the above topic please feel free to comment down below or contact me directly. I will be very glad to help you in every way possible.
If you are new to blogging I think you should check out the following articles too
- Things to do after installing WordPress
- Must have WordPress plugins for beginners
- How to monetize your blog